[Santa Cruz, CA Permaculture] TODAY!/Let's Fix This Earth!/ John D. Liu/ 4 - 6:30pm at the Watershed Resource Center

wesley roe Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Aug 19 07:06:36 PDT 2018

What an extraordinary opportunity, a chance to speak (online) with John D. Liu!  We love John D. Liu’s ever evolving work, including the Ecosystem Restoration Camps that are unfolding, as they are steeped in permaculture.  Carbon sequestration potential on massive scale.  And best of all, these Ecosystem Restoration camps a place for students & others to go and gain experience…

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Presents:

What if… We change

Let’s Fix This Earth!

Join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network for an award winning documentary film series featuring John D. Liu
Highlighting Ecosystem-Restoration projects around the world

John D. Liu will be joining us LIVE via Zoom! - come with questions, ideas

Sunday, August 19,  4 – 6:30pm  2018, FREE
Children Welcome!  Informal potluck gathering in the park following

Location: South Coast Watershed Resource Center
2981 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109, at Arroyo Burro County Beach Park

 Parking can be tight on sunny beach day, arrive early, carpool, bike, or take MTD bus #5 (check Sunday schedules)

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
www.sbpermaculture.org <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>

Read More…
Together, we can help to restore Paradise on Earth - John D. Liu

It all started in 1995 when John D. Liu, an award winning journalist and cameraman working for CBS News, got an assignment to film the Loess Plateau in China, one of the poorest regions in the country.  He observed how the local Chinese people had transformed a massive degraded area the size of Belgium, damaged from centuries of agriculture and grazing, into a verdant and productive green oasis.

Liu was stunned by what he saw and, and with the realization this ecosystem restoration model could be replicated all over the world, was inspired to become a soil scientist.

Of course there was a message to be shared, so as a talented storyteller and filmmaker, Liu spent the next 30 years documenting large scale ecosystem restoration projects around the globe, eventually creating the award winning What if … We Change documentary series.  The series covers restoration projects in Portugal, China, Ethiopia, Sweden, Rwanda, Spain, Mongolia, Uganda, Australia and more.

Because Liu considers Global Ecosystem Restoration the great work of our time, he launched Ecosystem Restoration Camps <http://www.ecosystemrestorationcamps.org/our-vision/>, a grassroots NGO that engages people of all ages to come and live for an extended time and help transform damaged landscapes into thriving, biodiverse ecosystems.  The first camp was located in the Spanish Altiplano region, where one of the largest dryland deserts is rapidly emerging, threatening the environmental health of Europe.

In an era when the world and our own Santa Barbara community is facing daunting environmental challenges - with droughts, fires, floods, and an increasingly erratic climate – we know innovative solutions are needed.  Santa Barbara Permaculture Network is excited to have John D. Liu join us online LIVE via ZOOM platform at the event where we can explore some of the similarities of his work and Permaculture.

Please bring your ideas and questions for John, so together, with all our hearts and minds, we can help fix this earth!

John D. Liu is a soil scientist and an American filmmaker who has lived in China for over 30 years.  His early career with CBS News as a producer and cameraman had him covering major geopolitical events of the time, but after an assignment covering the Loess Plateau Watershed Rehabilitation Project <http://eempc.org/loess-plateau-watershed-rehabilitation-project/>, he became an ecological filmmaker, founding the Environmental Education Media Project <http://eempc.org/>.  In addition to the What if We Change documentary, Liu’s other films include Hope in a Changing Climate; Rwanda-Forests of Hope; and Green Gold.  He also wrote and produced Jane Goodall – China Diary <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpcjOAe7uWI>  for National Geographic.  Liu is Senior Research Fellow with the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN <https://www.iucn.org/>), and Visiting Fellow with the Critical Zone Hydrology Group; Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences at the Vrije University Amsterdam.  Liu is Chairman of the Advisory Board for the Ecosystem Camps Foundation <https://www.ecosystemrestorationcamps.org/foundation/>, and currently serves as Ecosystem Ambassador for the Commonland Foundation <https://www.commonland.com/en/>.

The event takes place on Sunday August, 19, 4-6:30pm, at the South Coast Watershed Center at the Arroyo Burro County Park, 2981 Cliff Drive, SB, CA 93109. No reservation are required.  Bring a brown bag lunch or favorite potluck dish for an informal outdoor picnic and time for conversation following the event.  Children welcome!  For more information, www.sbpermaculture.org <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>, or margie at sbpermaculture.org <mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>

A Community Event Sponsored by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

www.sbpermaculture.org <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>
Facebook Event Page  <https://www.facebook.com/events/408730009534426/>

Learn more:

Ecosystem Restoration Camps  <http://www.ecosystemrestorationcamps.org/our-vision/>-  a grassroots non-profit organization that is engaging people to transform damaged landscapes into thriving, biodiverse ecosystems. The organization was founded in response to a groundswell of support from people worldwide who see the amazing potential of soil restoration.

Interview with John D. Liu/Hope & Ecosystem Restoration Camps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg3xtok8Xqs <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg3xtok8Xqs>

-end-

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190