[Scpg] seed savers? traders? in Santa Barbara/goleta

Darla Sharp darla at icess.ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 21 14:01:35 PST 2003

Hi,

Relatively new to the list here - been reading for a couple months now.
I recently (April 2002) moved from the SB County area (near Lane
Farms/Magnolia Center) to the end of Goleta, in a designated rural area
of ~150 homes, all 1 acre lots. We are the 9th (!!) owner of the
property and there have been a lot of mishmash type yard occurences
since the place was built in 1963. Most notably, the awful mass
plantings of bermuda sod with green mesh plastic backing (argh, keeps
showing up in my compost heap). We abut an open (undeveloped, but with
very few native plants thriving) 20 acre space so naturally every weed
happily living there blows right into my yard! I've been pretty much
working on the yard non-stop since last April and am now coming up for a
little bit of air.

I had the following questions for list readers out there:

1. Mulch: I have a couple of (hopeful) sources for getting some free
mulch delivered, but I am stalling because I am worried I won't know
what types of trees/brush to say yes to - for instance, are oaks too
acidy? pepper trees too? walnut trees? eucalyptus? Is there a preferred
type (redwood I'm sure, but I don't know that will be available to me)?
Any information would be most helpful to me. Thank you!!

2. Are there any groups locally that exchange seeds? I'm interested in
vegetable/fruit seeds, but I am also interested in a few different
exotics that do well here.

3. Has anyone on the list built a smaller sized chicken tractor? Coop
plans? Also, how long does chicken manure need to age before it can be
used? Should it be the green layer of a compost pile? (I am very new to
composting, but loving the turning the pile part so far!)

Thank you in advance for any feedback and for taking time to read my
email inquiry.

Best,
Darla Sharp

Darla Sharp