[Scpg] Feb 12 Permaculture Mtg/Directions Monte Vista School Santa Barbara plus calendar

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue Feb 10 14:10:59 PST 2004

> Hi Everyone
>
> More information about the South Coast Permaculture monthly meeting on
> February 12, which promises to be a very special evening at one of our local
> schools:
>
> Judy Sims has offered to be available for tours of her school garden and its
> nature trail beginning at 6pm for those who want to arrive early.  This
would
> be a good idea if you want to see things while there is still light. She
> promises organic snow peas available for picking for snacks!
>
> Here is other info from Judy and her assistant:
>
> The half-acre native plant nature trail and youth garden areas are quite
> handy to the meeting locaton, which is in her classroom, room #1, located at
> the front, right part of campus.
>
> Monte Vista Elementary School is located at 730 Hope Avenue, S. B. The
school
> is on the mountain side of State Street, approximately half a mile up Hope
> Avenue, on the right side.  You can access Hope Avenue directly from the
> freeway if you're heading north, and one block south of the La Cumbre if
> you're heading south and take the La Cumbre exit.  There is plenty of
> well-lit parking.  It's OK to park along the curb and in teacher designated
> parking spaces at this time of day.  Follow the signs to her room where we
> will meet and view video(s).
>
> Briing food for snacking and seeds, plants, harvest, photos, etc. to share!
> Judy and fellow staff always welcome donations of starts and other items for
> the school's youth garden programs.  They also have a weekly mini farmer's
> market every Thursday, 11:30 to 2:00.  Donations of organic produce, healthy
> snacks, seeds, plants, cut flowers, and country crafts are welcome at any
> time--generally dropped off on Wednesday afternoons or Thursday mornings at
> the front of the school, on the cart directly behind the farmer's market
> gate.  Support is always welcome in the maintaining and developing of
> gardens, too! Contact Judy by email at: hjsims at earthlink.net.
>
> Thanks everyone, hope to see you soon,
> Margie Bushman
>

> Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
> (805) 962-2571
> sbpcnet at silcom.com
> www.sbpermaculture.org
>
> "We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to
> grow." - Anonymous

Below are other announcements and happenings in our region for the upcoming
months of 2004:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Journey to El Sapote February 14-15
Journey with Common Vision to:
El Sapote Food Forest and Exotic Nursery
with Permaculture Elder Jerry Price
February 14-15 (Sat-Sun)

Weekend will include:
-An abundance of exotic fruit
-An intensive on food forestry
-Organic vegetarian meals served with love
-Drumming, singing, and dancing
-Experience in nomadic eco-community living
-work party (project to be announced)
-morning yoga class with Michael (Vinyasa with an Iyengar underpinning)
-sleeping accomidations in the Common Vision Yoga tunnel with Story-time
(story-teller yet to be appointed)
- good friends
As always, we will travel in Jah-Lioness, a school bus converted to run on
vegetable oil containing an ever-growing library, solar electricity, a
greenhouse for sprouting, drying racks for herbal medicines, a hygienic
kitchen capable of feeding up to 500 at a time, sleeping accommodations for
12, and lots of musical instruments.
Note: The veggie oil for this trip has mostly been collected from a vegan
resturant. Our bus eats good.
Weekend cost: $45-75 sliding scale. (includes food)
No one will be turned away due to lack of funds.
WWW.Commonvision.org
Michael (831)588-9914 Michael at commonvision.org
We will leave from Claremont CA at 8:30am on Saturday and will return Sunday
8-  9:15pm

FOOD FORESTRY -A Hands On Workshop
Presented by The Center of Natural Design and Open Circle LLC...
February 21st, 2004 10:00am - 5:00pm
De Luz Heights, California (N. San Diego County)
RSVP for Directions 805.528.3763
Visit one of the most mature food forest ecosystems on the west coast. A
unique
opportunity to explore a Southern California treasure, with Premier Food
Forester Jerry Price and renowned Permaculture Designer Larry Santoyo...
Learn about the hundreds of varieties of temperate, tropical and subtropical
fruits, medicine and timber...
Food Forestry Workshop includes:
* READING THE PATTERNS OF THE LANDSCAPE
Site Planning; Deciding where to plant and why...
Species Selection; Deciding what to plant and when...
Understory; Plant guilds and companions
* TREE CARE
Art and Science of Tree Pruning
Maintaining Optimal Health
Maximizing Fruit Production
* EARTH STEWARDSHIP
Erosion Control
Water Harvesting
Earth Works
* FRUIT TASTING & MORE
Cost: $28 Suggested Donation (no one will be turned away for lack of funds)
Bring: Friends, Bag Lunch, Pruning tools, Water bottle, Gloves, Sturdy Foot
ware.
Stay for Campfire and Potluck Dinner...
Camping available by prior arrangement.

Tuesday Mar 9 6:30 pm  Slide Show and Talk at Sedgwick Ranch near Los Olivos
near Santa Barbara ,with cob builders and authors Ianto Evans and Linda Smiley
of Cob Cottage Company www.deatech.com/cobcottage.
Map with direction from South exit #154 off Hwy #101 heading over San Macro
Pass and north #101 take Highway #154,
http://nrs.ucop.edu/reserves/sedgwick/site_maps.html
Contact Betty Siemens 698-3840.

Thursday Mar 18 6:30, Potluck Followed By Slide Show and Talk $3 Donation
With Ianto Evans and Linda Smiley cob builders and authors Ianto Evans and
Linda Smiley
Bring food to share.
Community Environmental Council Gildea Center 930 Miramonte Dr, Santa Barbara
CA
Contact Margie Bushman South Coast Permaculture Guild 805-962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com www.sbpermaculture.org
Friday Mar 19 3:00 pm Open house at the Cob Building site outside Los Olivos
Call Betty Siemens 698-3840.
Come visit , view Cob Building in Action and talk the experts Ianto Evans and
Linda Smiley of Cob Cottage Company
HAND SCULPTED HOUSES
Ever wonder what to do with the clay under your feet? Build a cob cottage!
Ianto Evans and Linda Smiley and coauthors of the book, "The Hand-Sculpted
House: A Practical and
Philosophical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage." will be in Santa Barbara and
Malibu for workshops, slide shows and more:
Ianto Evans of Cob Cottage Company (www.deatech.com/cobcottage) is an
applied ecologist, landscape architect and pioneer in earth structures
(cob), with building experience on six continents. Linda Smiley is a
director of The Cob Cottage Company, as well as a master cobber and
recreational therapist. She also teaches workshops in cob, sculpting sacred
spaces, intuitive design, and natural plasters and finishes.
Mar 10-Mar 20 Santa Barbara, CA $680 2004
Basics of Building with Cob: (10 days) with Ianto Evans
Our most popular workshop teaches professionals and owner-builders the basics
of cob construction in 7 to 9 intensive days.
Cob Cottage Company Box 123 Cottage Grove, OR 97424
Phone or FAX (541) 942-2005 http://www.cobcottage.com
The best time to call is Monday, Wednesday, or Friday between 10:00 AM and
5:00
PM
To get on Cob Cottage Email list contact cobcottage at earthlink.net for updates

Mar 21  Malibu CA COB one Day Workshop and evening Lecture at Wright Ranch
camille cimino <camcim at yahoo.com> 626-963-0301

First Saturday of each month"Permaculture Garden Tour and WorkParty"
at The Center of Natural Design, Los Osos, CA.
starts 10:30am,
RSVP info at earthflow.com or call 805.528.3763

UPCOMING WORKSHOPS at OPEN CIRCLE:
The teaching team of The Center of Natural Design is among the world's most
experienced groups of Permaculture Designers and Teachers. Guest lecturers
include internationally acclaimed educators and leaders in the world-wide
sustainability movement.
More Food Forestry...
Pond Building and Maintenance...
Irrigation Systems for Food Forests...
Micro-Housing...
UPCOMING WORKSHOPS & EVENTS
Contact 805.528.3763 for directions and more information.
Pre- registration required.
"Introduction to Permaculture Design" -The Center of Natural Design,
San Luis Obispo Co, Ca
10:30am, First Saturday of each month

"Natural Building Seminar" -The Center of Natural Design,
San Luis Obispo Co, Ca
March. 6th, 2004 1:00pm
"Permaculture Ethics Course" -The Center of Natural Design,
San Luis Obispo Co, Ca
April. 24th, 2004 10:00am
"Terra Foundation Meeting -Community and Deep Ecology" -San Luis Obispo, Ca
7:00pm, Second Thursday of each month
"The Permaculture Design Certificate Course" --The Center of Natural Design,
San Luis Obispo Co, Ca
June 13-26, 2004 -Celebrate Summer Solstice!
COMMING SOON!!!
The First Annual "Weed and Wine" Festival
Weed -Verb: as in to work/party in the garden
Wine -Noun: as in fruit of the vine...
Festival -as in live music, arts, crafts and more!!!
PERMACULTURE DESIGN EDUCATION
The teaching team of The Center of Natural Design is among the world's most
experienced groups of Permaculture Designers. Guest lecturers include
internationally acclaimed educators and leaders in the world-wide
sustainability movement.
The training center in San Luis Obispo County has monthly programs in
permaculture and natural building and is host to Permaculture Design
Certificate Courses each year.
-Permaculture Design Certificate Program July 13th -26th...

June 13-26, 2004 -"The Permaculture Design Certificate Course"
at The Center of Natural Design, Los Osos, CA.
Celebrate Summer Solstice!
info at earthflow.com or call 805.528.3763
-end-

PARADE OF GREEN BUILDING SET FOR SPRING 2004  April 30 and Saturday May 1,
2004

sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org