[Scpg] Workshop Series: Gardening with Little Water and Less Work

Benjamin benonthenet at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 12:58:35 PDT 2004

Growing food in the Southland can be a challenge. Receiving only 12-15"
of rain annually like we do here makes for many trips to the faucet to
irrigate the garden.

Could go away for a week or two without worrying about your garden? How
would your vegetables fair? Mine would be just fine.

I'm planning a workshop series at my tiny home and garden in Long Beach
to share what I've learned about growing food in a semi-arid
environment. The series will be geared towards urban/suburaban backyard
food production. Topics to cover include how to plant according to the
natural rain and heat cycle, simple rain catchment and mosquito
abaitment, and DROUGHT TOLERANT edible plants.

Most gardeners are unaware of the tastey choices in drought tolerant
edibles. These plants alone will virtually eliminate the need for
irrigation. Two bonuses of the plants we'll discuss are:

1. Perennial/self-seeding growth - No need to replant every season!
2. Multiply use - Sometimes more than one part of the part is edible
giving you two or three crops from one plant.

This workshop series will equip gardeners and would-be gardeners to
grow and abundance of food in an urban/suburban home or community food
garden using only natural methods. Workshops will be hands on and
participants will have the opportunity to taste some of the crops.

If you have an interest in this workshop series, send me an email
(benonthenet at yahoo). Tell anyone you know that would be interested to
do the same. Time (probably Saturdays) and cost (cost will be minimal)
to be announced.