[Scpg] SB/Ventura Hopedance , Meeting Tues Oct 5, PLUS CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Oct 3 10:10:45 PDT 2004

hi everyone
         next meeting for Hopedance Santa Barbara/Ventura is Tues Oct 5
,the next issue focus will be on "The Collapse of the US Empire and How to
Survive and Thrive"please feel free to submit stuff , also  HopeDance will
feature an ALTERNATIVES TO OIL directory for the Nov/Dec 2004 issue please
see writeup at below
                 thanks wes roe santa barabara/ventura county editor

THE NEXT MEETING FOR LOCAL HOPEDANCE to talk about the articles and meet
the people behind the articles gathered for the issue will be TUES OCT 5,
7pm Community Mediation Center SB. (behind 324 E Carrillo St )
Santa Barbara/Ventura Hopedance phone is 805-683-8997
Due date for submissions is Oct 10 please submit to Wes Roe SB/Ventura
Editor lakinroe at silcom.com

#####*** The Collapse of the US Empire and How to Survive and Thrive
***DEADLINE FOR ARTICLES, POEMS, CARTOONS, BOOK AND VIDEO REVIEWS,
COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS AND MORE FOR VENTURA AND SB COUNTY is OCT10  FOR
Nov/Dec 2004

DEADLINE FOR SPECIAL "#The Collapse of the US Empire and How to Survive and
Thrive"  OCT  10 see writeup below discussing details

Please submit articles, cartoons, essays, book reviews, stories, poems,
announcements of events, and ideas for Santa Barbara and Ventura Hopedance
that deals with articles etc specific to our area. Article should be around
800 words with pictures or up to 1,200, short articles of 250-300 are
encouraged too, and also writeups of 100 -250 words for our new shorts
section . Check with the Editor about submissions you are writing,
Wes Roe lakinroe at silcom.com

THE NEXT MEETING FOR LOCAL HOPEDANCE to talk about the articles and meet
the people behind the articles gathered for the issue will be TUES Oct
5  7pm Community Mediation Center SB.
Directions to Community Mediation Center , the center is behind (New
Beginnings Counselling 324 E Carrillo St) drive down driveway to building
at the rear and park, meeting is in rear of Mediation Center)

November/December 2004
Next issue: due date October 10
The Collapse of the US Empire and How to Survive and Thrive.
Imagine what would happen if this bubble/terrarium called the US economy
begins to burst at the edges... not necessarily in a doomesday scenario but in
more practical methods. What would we do? A crash course in sustainable living
might be on par. Learning how our local FEMA would respond. Learning what our
city officials are prepared for, i.e., banks closing, supermarket shelves are
empty, etc.
It may even feel like the Y2K days. That time could have been a time to
learn to prepare but overall it did nothing. And as Matthew Simmons, a major
consultant for energy corporations via the World Bank and the IMF said in the
film “The End of Suburbia,” the black out of Toronto taught us nothing. It
could have but it didn’t. Also, we will be featuring the new book by Richard
Heinberg called Power Down: Options and Actions for a Post-Carbon World. What
jobs/livelihoods would we start doing? Is the local economy thriving; how
would you
run your computer? What can we start doing now to prepare for such an
inevitability? Even if nothing happened, wouldn’t it still be cool to
live friendly
on the earth and learn sustainable ways that have been existent for thousands
of years before the age of modernity? Must we always have a crisis before we
act?
Send in your rants, essays, poems, reviews, solutions, neighborhood survival
strategies, etc.Due October 10th

HopeDance will feature an ALTERNATIVES TO OIL directory for the Nov/Dec issue
which is focusing on surviving and thriving from the collapse of the US
Empire.
please forward this to your friends and associates.
If you have a business, non-profit or are media/education that is
SPECIFICALLY related to creating ALTERNATIVES TO OIL, then send us a
LISTING. ONLY IF YOU
LIVE IN VENTURA, SANTA BARBARA OR SLO COUNTIES.
PLEASE SEND IN THE APPROPRIATE ORDER (as shown below).
DUE DATE IS OCTOBER 10TH for our Nov/Dec issue.
LISTING:
City/County:
Name:
Email:
Phone:
Category (see below and use # please):
url/website:
and 20 words that describe the entity.
Please also give us the specific CATEGORY. Choose from one of the following
SEVEN categories. According to Bill Mollison, these 7 categories include all
human activity:
1. COMMUNITY AND SOCIAL LIFE
2. FOOD AND FOOD SUPPORT
3. HEALTH SERVICES AND EXERCISE
4. INFO SYSTEMS AND COMMUNICATIONS
5. LIVELIHOODS AND SERVICES
6. SHELTER, BUILDINGS AND MATERIALS
7. TRANSPORTATION AND SERVICES
It is important to INCLUDE the category since the directory will be divided
into categories as well as counties. Not only will it be printed in hopedance
but it will be online.
If you are having a difficult time figuring out if you are in a business that
is creating ALTERATIVES TO OIL, see below for a brief listing of products
made from oil. If you are creating an alternative, then YOU can have a FREE
listing in hopedance. Some examples: solar, wind, bio-diesal, non pesticided
gardening/farming, bicycling...
If you wish to ADVERTISE in this directory (either in addition to your
already existing ad or separately), call 544-9663.
Here goes the brief list.. and please forward to businesses that you think
ought to be included:
<<Clothing Ink
Heart Valves
Crayons
Parachutes
Telephones
Enamel
Transparent tape
Antiseptics
Vacuum bottles
Deodorant
Pantyhose
Rubbing Alcohol
Carpets
Epoxy paint
Oil filters
Upholstery
Hearing Aids
Car sound insulation
Cassettes
Motorcycle helmets
Pillows
Shower doors
Shoes
Refrigerator linings
Electrical tape
Safety glass
Awnings
Salad bowl
Rubber cement
Nylon rope
Ice buckets
Fertilizers
Hair coloring
Toilet seats
Denture adhesive
Loudspeakers
Movie film
Fishing boots
Candles
Water pipes
Car enamel
Shower curtains
Credit cards
Aspirin
Golf balls
Detergents
Sunglasses
Glue
Fishing rods
Linoleum
Plastic wood
Soft contact lenses
Trash bags
Hand lotion
Shampoo
Shaving cream
Footballs
Paint brushes
Balloons
Fan belts
Umbrellas
Paint Rollers
Luggage
Antifreeze
Model cars
Floor wax
Sports car bodies
Tires
Dishwashing liquids
Unbreakable dishes
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Combs
Tents
Hair curlers
Lipstick
Ice cube trays
Electric blankets
Tennis rackets
Drinking cups
House paint
Rollerskates wheels
Guitar strings
Ammonia
Eyeglasses
Ice chests
Life jackets
TV cabinets
Car battery cases
Insect repellent
Refrigerants
Typewriter ribbons
Cold cream
Glycerin
Plywood adhesive
Cameras
Anesthetics
Artificial turf
Artificial Limbs
Bandages
Dentures
Mops
Beach Umbrellas
Ballpoint pens
Boats
Nail polish
Golf bags
Caulking
Tape recorders
Curtains
Vitamin capsules
Dashboards
Putty
Percolators
Skis
Insecticides
Fishing lures
Perfumes
Shoe polish
Petroleum jelly
Faucet washers
Food preservatives
Antihistamines
Cortisone
Dyes
LP records
Solvents
Roofing >>
Thanks
bob banner
publisher please submit   hopedance at aol.com or lakinroe at silcom.com

We now do the meetings bi monthly, and they take place right before the
deadline for the next issue,

IMPORTANT  REMINDER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE to help provide financial support for the Media you would
like to see in your community (1 year 6 issues $20 mail to Hopedance PO Box
15609 San Luis Obispo Ca 93406)
Thanks Wes Roe lakinroe at silcom.com Editor Ventura, SB Hopedance
and the SB and Ventura Collective of Hopedance Supporters of
Writers,Editors and Distributors

we are always looking for
book reviews
video reviews
art
poetry
essays
articles
reports
summaries of articles in other publications
reviews of various publications
reviews of urls
cartoons
graphics

HopeDance FiLMS presents films every Sunday, 8pm at the Friendship Manor (on
the corner of El Colegio and Los Carneros) in the Theatre up the stairs at the
main El Colegio Entrance. Tickets are only available at the Isla Vista Food
Coop (6575 Seville Road; 968-1401 (no money accepted at the door; only 66
tickets will be sold! first come first serve!)
Organic sandwiches, chips and cookies are often available at the film.
Parking is at the Manor Corner Parking Lot (the entrance is on the southeast
corner of the empty lot at Camino Pescadero and El Colegio, on the east side
of Friendship Manor. The opening is nearly opposite the west end of Cervantes
Road.) Do not park in the underground parking structure!
$5 (Students $3) Monies go to HopeDance Media (www.hopedance.org).
Call Art for details at 968-1965.

SANTA BARBARA /VENTURA/OXNARD/OJAI LOCATIONS FOR HOPEDANCE MAG
Taffy's Pizza
Vices &Spices
IV Coop
Main Library and East Side Library
Island Seed & Feed
Goleta Community Center
Paradise Found
Community Environmental Council
Copy Cat Coffee
Thrashers Books
Natural Cafe in Santa Barbara and Goleta
Nicky's Hair Design and Gifts
Lasen's Goleta
Sojourner
Giovanna's Pizza Montecito and Santa Barbara, IV
Fairview Gardens
Goleta Library
Chaucer's Bookstore
Muddy Waters
Livingreen
KCSB Radio
Kind Heart Institute

Bulldog Cafe Summerland

CARPINTERIA
Pacific Health foods Carpinteria
Carpinteria Public Library
The Coffee Grinder
Giovanni's Pizza
The Garden Cafe
Surf Shop beside Cafe on Padora

OJAI
Rainbow Bridge Natural Foods Market Ojai
Local Hero Bookstore
German Bakery
Ojai Roasting Company
Ojai Library
Ojai Foundation
The Farmer and Cook Meiners Oaks

LOMPOC/SOLVANG
South Side Cafe Lompoc
Printed Matter Lompoc
Lompoc Community Center
Lompoc Public Library
Solvang Public Library
Book Loft Solvang
Grand Tales Los Olivos
El Rancho Market Santa Ynez
Coffee Bean and Thing Lompoc
Essential Touch Lompoc

Oxnard:
Lassen's Health Foods
Café On A
Oxnard Public Library
The Prueter Library
Inner Gate Yoga Center
Sacred Space
Oxnard Public Library
The Grand Feline Resort
The Yoga Channel
Oak View Library

Ventura

Franky's Restaurant
Yoga Jones
Garden Village Café
H.P. Wright Library
Ventura Healing Arts Center
E.P. Foster Library
Zoey's Café
Cheap Sports
Patagonia
Ventura Yoga Studio
The Livery Theater
Salzer's Music
Beat City Records
Caffrodite
Latte 101
Skatestreet / The Loft
Way of Orient / Yoga with Zan
Shoreline Bicycle
Waveline Surf Shop /Caffrodite
Bad Ass Coffee /Latte 101
The Livery Theater/ Salzer's Music
Ventura Yoga Studio /Skatestreet / The Loft
Django's Coffee House /Full of Beans Coffee House
Zoey's Café & Club
The Natural Café
Café Bariloche
Natalie's Fine Threads