[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} Biodiesel Bonanza with Maria Alovert

Dervaes dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Fri May 13 09:54:16 PDT 2005

CALENDAR OF EVENTS: May

> Biodiesel Mixer - with Maria Alovert (aka "Girl Mark") homebrew biodiesel activist and inventor of the "appleseed biodiesel processor"
> Biodiesel Workshop - with Maria Alovert (aka "Girl Mark") homebrew biodiesel activist and inventor of the "appleseed biodiesel processor"
                                     (Note: this will be the one and only biodiesel class given at PTF this year)

CALENDAR OF EVENTS: June

> Cob Oven Building Workshop - with Ray Cirino  (please register and pay by May 30!)
> Knit-Together (crochet too!)
> Bike Summer: Arroyo Seco Eco-Ride - includes tour of Path to Freedom homestead
> The Future of Food - with special guest Deborah Koons Garcia (Director, Producer)

BIODIESEL MIXER
Meet Maria Alovert and other veggie oil enthusiasts

WHEN:  Friday May 20
TIME: 6:30  - 9:30  pm
FEE:  $5 - $10
Event includes a potluck.  Please bring some snacks or drink to share

RSVP:  Space is limited so please reserve @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/events/biodiesel.htm

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   Forget sky-high gas prices, dump the petroleum addiction and learn more about a clean and renewable alternative.

Biodiesel is an alternative carbon-neutral, sulfur-free fuel made from recycled vegetable oil and is renewable, sustainable, domestically produced, and oil dependence free.  Homebrew a clean alternative fuel in your backyard!  Find out why small scale home production of Biodiesel is efficient and sustainable.

GUEST SPEAKER: Maria Alovert from Berkeley, California, is an activist who teaches classes on making biodiesel and is the inventor of the fumeless water heater processor.  See her website http://www.localb100.com

BIODIESEL WORKSHOP
Brew your own biodiesel using waste vegetable oil

WHEN:  Sunday May 22nd
TIME: 10am  - 2pm
FEE:  $50 - $65  (sliding scale)
or
TIME:  4pm -  8pm
FEE:  $50 - $65 (sliding scale)

RSVP:  Space is limited so please reserve and send payments by May 18 @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/workshops/biodiesel.htm

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   "How-to" biodiesel class for beginners on making fuel from restaurant "waste" oil.  At this workshop,  you'll learn the nitty-gritty details of home-brewing biodiesel.

Different basic aspects of homebrewed biodiesel will be addressed as well as the kind of equipment you would need to start brewing your own biodiesel.

INSTRUCTOR: Maria Alovert from Berkeley, California, is an activist who teaches classes on making biodiesel and is the inventor of the fumeless water heater processor.  See her website http://www.localb100.com

COB OVEN BUILDING WORKSHOP
Fun with mud!

WHEN:  Sunday, June 5
TIME:  10am - 6pm
FEE: $65 - $85 sliding scale

RSVP:  Space is limited so please reserve and register (payment due by May 30) @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/workshops/coboven.htm

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   Learn how to build a simple fully functioning sculpted bread oven from cob in one day. This earthen sculpture will be built using inexpensive materials: sand, clay, straw, and water.

You will learn about materials selection and evaluation, mixing and cobbing techniques, and designing. Cob has been used for millennia . With recent rises in the price of lumber and increasing interest in natural and environmentally safe building practices, cob is enjoying a renaissance. This ancient technology doesn't contribute to deforestation, pollution or mining nor depend on manufactured materials or power tools. Earth is non-toxic and completely recyclable.

The workshop will be a mix of hands-on (and feet in!). Please wear clothes that you wouldn't mind soiling. Plan to use muscles you haven't flexed in a while.

BRING: A hat, suntan lotion, towel, slip-ons, perhaps a change of clothes. Also bring your own bag lunches and beverages. We will provide light snacks and water.

INSTRUCTOR: Ray Cirino, of Cobanation, is an experienced and innovative cobber.  He will share his love and enthusiasm of cob, demonstrating his own unique and whimsical design.

PATH TO FREEDOM
Sustainable Living Resource Center

Jules Dervaes
631 Cypress Ave