[Scpg] Time is Ripe for Urban Agriculture

John Calvert jc at calvertdesign.com
Mon May 23 09:55:59 PDT 2005

Published on Monday, May 23, 2005 by the Seattle Times
Time is Ripe for Urban Agriculture
by Neal Pierce

Is America ready for a metropolitan agriculture policy? Is the time
ripe to take some of the billions in subsidies now flowing to big
commodity-crop operators and focus instead on sustainable farm
production in and around the citistate regions where 80 percent of us
live?

Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., and the man who founded Congress'
Livability Caucus, argues that with half of federal farm subsidies
currently "flowing to six states to produce 13 commodities that in the
main we don't need, like corn, wheat, cotton, and rice," there's a
dramatically superior alternative.

We should, says Blumenauer, "use that money to build sustainable
agriculture, create a farmer's market in every community, help farmers
protect our land and water, preserve our viewsheds, foster land banks
and control erosion."

Read more...