[Scpg] Energy and Permaculture David Holmgren (David will be in SB Aug 2)

Darwin Thorpe twindart at msn.com
Mon Jul 11 10:39:23 PDT 2005

Wesley Roe et al.,

Thanks for Holmgren's material; the thermodynamic laws, especially  the 2nd, are arguably the most important limiting factors on civilization's attempts at sustainability.  He did make one error; his statement that, "These laws are taught in every science course..."  In fact, they should be, but are not, especially in the earth and biological sciences at the college level.  Many professors, and I was one of them, think these laws, along with Newton's mechanical laws, should be the foundation laws for instruction not only in all science courses, but in engineering, and the social sciences as well.  Then we could begin to say that Americans are truly educated.

Darwin Thorpe
Professor emeritus,
Compton Community College