[Scpg] Green Manure

L. Santoyo santoyo at earthflow.com
Wed Mar 19 09:34:45 PDT 2008

You sure are on the right track -with the no tilling...
I wouldn't chop them -just push them down under a thick layer of mulch
(straw and/or fine wood chips).  Favas break down very quickly, fix nitrogen
in the soil (when needed) -and don't forget the flowers are delicious too!
I would also spare a patch to let them mature into fat beans -to eat -and
save some to plant later.

Because your new plant roots and the bacteria that breaks down the "green
manure" (in this case the favas) and mulch into rich soil -both use nitrogen
-some people do wait a week or two before planting... -if you were to add
even a little prepared compost/aged manure with your seeds and seedlings
-the perceived competition for nutrient shouldn't be long or have much
impact at all...

I would try planting some right away -but in one and two weeks from now, it
won't be too late to plant anyway...

good luck

Larry
www.earthflow.com