[Scpg] SB Permaculture Guild meeting this Saturday 3:30 pm at Alpha

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 09:04:04 PDT 2008

The next meeting of the Santa Barbara Permaculture Guild will be 3:30 -  5:30
pm this Saturday, June 28th at Alpha Resource Center, 4501 Cathedral Oaks  Rd
in Santa Barbara.  We'll sit under the pine tree or the oaks -  whichever is
the coolest spot!    If you want to bring snacks to  share, that's great but
not necessary, and if any folks want to go out to dinner  afterwards together,
that could be a possibility too. There's filtered water in  the greenhouse,
with paper cups, but it would be great if you'd bring your own  cup or water
bottle.

If you have any items you'd like to add to the agenda before the meeting,
please let us know. A few things we'll discuss: (1) how we're coming along with
the Alpha food forest and garden in general, (2) the greenhouse (3) putting
together a possible slide show on Permaculture in Santa Barbara and on the
South  Coast, with pictures of all local Pc projects, possibly including shots of
stuff  like Betsy's place (herb spiral), Jacob's bees, food exchanges, Arella
 Ranch, our backyard food forest, a straw bale house, a cob bench, etc.  What
am I forgetting that should be on this? Volunteers are needed for this
project.  That way we can put this on a DVD and give community talks  explaining
what local permaculture is all about. (4) whether or not we should  have
meetings in July and August.  Larry and I will probably not be  available to organize
these, so if someone else would like to organize either  July and/or August,
that would be great. (5) report on the permie potlucks by  Roy - they've been
terrific community-builders and lots of fun! (6) when to  schedule the next
garden work party and what topic/talk to include in  that.

There won't be an official garden work party Saturday, but we'll  probably
show up at least an hour early to do some watering and get things  done.

As mentioned in a previous e-mail, we're going to try doing the  morning
garden work parties/lunch potlucks at Alpha on a different day from  the actual
Permaculture Guild meetings.  We may include a short talk on a  permaculture
topic in future work party days, plus a brief garden tour. We've  had 3
volunteers offer to teach: Cerena to talk about working in a greenhouse;  Roy to
discuss water harvesting from roofs; and Valerie to speak about low-chill  fruit
trees.  Margie may also be available to teach about gardening in  containers.
We're looking forward to all of those talks! Please let us know if  you have a
topic you'd like to talk on at a future work party.

We haven't scheduled another work party yet but will try to do so.   Any
suggestions or volunteers?

Looking forward to seeing y'all on Saturday...

Linda and Larry