[Scpg] design progress on the garden/food forest at Alpha Resource Center in SB

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 14:08:09 PDT 2008

Thanks to everyone who contributed creative design ideas at yesterday's SB
Permaculture Guild meeting.  I redrew the "master plan" (which is really  just
a sketch) this morning and have included some highlights below for those of
you who may be interested.

A permaculture-inspired re-design of an existing garden is in some ways
analogous to a green remodel (as opposed to building green from the start or
totally demolishing existing structures).  Instead of a blank slate, we  have the
bones of an existing garden structure that we can follow or  modify.
Observation and patience are the keys, and bring a new respect for the  original
designer, whoever he or she might have been (wish we had his/her  drawings!)  Also
we emphasize using existing or donated materials  rather than purchasing new
(with the exception of building the raised beds and  the barn owl houses.)

THE MEADOW GARDEN
This is our proposed name for the section between the first and second  paths
(what we call the Guava Path and the Meadow-Citrus Path), where the hose  bib
is (opposite the tent). This section already contains a number of fruit
trees planted in 2007 (2 peaches and an apple), plus an existing  ornamental,
pink-flowered bush (we haven't yet identified it) and the  new super-fragrant
champaca, donated by Ann.  Roy outlined a  nice kidney-shaped pond with lots of
"edge" which we can put in when we  remove the existing raised bed, which is
falling apart.  There is an  additional hose bib at the greenhouse end of this
section so it's already a  reasonably wet area.  We could do the wildflower
thing in this bed if we  like. Larry and I thought it would look better "green"
than covered with  mulch (brown) like the rest of the garden, and we might even
want to consider a  small patch of lawn ( I know, I know...).  Because it's
between the two  hose bibs, I think we can keep this section looking pretty
green and lush,  especially as we'll have the pond. We can put bulbs around the
pond etc.   Maybe a solar fountain in the pond to give us some moving water?  It
 would be really nice to sit in the shade of the little tent and enjoy  the
pond, the sound of moving water and the soothing green lushness.  Ecotherapy!

The creation of the pond could be an exciting permaculture workshop - if  you
have any ideas on who would be a good teacher for this, let us know.

THE GUAVA PATH
This path starts between the guava and the pink ornamental bush, first path
on your right as you come along the path from the garden entrance. This is the
 path where the plastic squares used to be. We need to decide how to surface
this  path.  Right now it's bare earth and because for some reason it's
getting  watered, the Bermuda grass is popping up again (of course). Jacob suggested
 gravel.  We need to find out what surfaces would be acceptable and if they
have to be wheelchair accessible.

THE ORCHARD WALK
Roy helped us envision the continuation of the guava path across the  area
with the creekside raised bed and down the middle of the orchard on the  creek
side of the greenhouse. Per Jacob's suggestion, we've re-sited the row of
deciduous fruit trees (probably bushy apricots and plums) that will be put  in
along the creekside of the greenhouse wall to be slightly further out from  the
wall, to leave more room for growth.  The path will go between those  trees
(not yet put in) and the trees we put in last year.  A nice orchard  walk.  There
are gopher holes here, so we'll have to address that  issue.

THE CREEKSIDE OF THE SHED
The row of deciduous fruit trees will continue along the creekside of the
shed.

THE MEADOW-CITRUS GARDEN PATH
The second path to your right, between the meadow garden and the citrus
garden is now benefiting from some edging bricks donated by Ann -  thanks!  These
bricks begin to clarify the original straight-sided shape of  the path.

THE CITRUS GROVE
On the far side of the second path to your right as you enter the  garden
(the meadow-citrus garden path) is the "citrus grove" with some  lovely mature
citrus trees that are yielding excellent fruit. When we remove the  derelict
raised bed from this section we could add two more citrus trees and  possibly put
some kind of seat or table in the middle of the grove, which will  be a
delightfully fragrant and cool place to sit and escape the world while  munching a
tangerine. (More multisensory ecotherapy!)

THE CREEKSIDE RAISED BED AREA
Roy thought that design-wise we might want to replace the existing  raised
bed in this area with a new one to match the new raised bed on the  other side
of the tree.  We're slowly uncovering the original structure of  the garden -
wooden "lines" outlining paths etc. and are using this design as a  guideline -
no need to reinvent the wheel here as it's quite an aesthetically  pleasing
design.

BEHIND THE SWING
We've put the two redwood trellises that used to be in the greenhouse in  the
small garden on the north side of the exterior greenhouse wall that's near
the swing.  The idea here will be to plant some vines that contribute  somewhat
to the cooling of the greenhouse walls.  Right now the trellises  are just
stuck in the ground here, and probably need some cement footing. Maybe  a
passionfruit vine here - or kiwifruit?  Or more grapes?

CREEKSIDE SEATING AREA
The seating and planting area on the creekside of the greenhouse and shed
has been cleaned up, so it's now a nice, open, partly shady place to spend time.
 There are lovely views from here of the mountains, oaks and hillside. (yes,
more  ecotherapy...)

THE VEGGIE/HERB GARDEN
What had been the fragrance garden (next to the new raised bed) is now
planted out in donated annual ornamentals but could eventually be the vegetable
and maybe herb garden, if we can find enough garden volunteers to take care of
it properly.  This is definitely "zone 1" gardening that demands  attention!
If you'd like to be part of a team that is part of taking  care of this
relatively small space and the nearby raised beds, please let us  know. This is
where we can grow lots of annual and perennial edibles.

THE FRAGRANCE GARDEN
More fragrance plants will be added to the small, skinny garden bed just to
the left of the garden entrance, in between the fruit trees.  Right now  there
are three fragrant heritage roses (very tough), and I'll add more as I
propagate them from cuttings. It would be nice to add lavender, sage and  other
fragrant plants, if folks will donate them.  The existing elderly  rockroses
have, alas, outlived their lifetimes ( Sunset Garden recommends they  be replaced
every 3 years), so these need to be removed.

THE CHAIN LINK FENCE
At the entrance end of the fence, we'll probably go for some fragrant  roses,
and in the orchard area opposite the greenhouse we already have four  grape
vines going, but we'll need additional vines along the length of this long
fence.  If anyone has passionfruit starts, or even a couple of kiwis, we  could
consider them here?  There are naturalized cane berries (probably  highly
invasive blackberries) on the creek side of the fence but we might also  consider
more mannerly cane fruits on part of the fence. Preferably thornless  and types
that don't sucker underground!

HERB SPIRAL, COB BENCH?
We'd like to put a herb spiral someplace, preferably somewhere sunny  and
hot. Still looking for the right place.  Also it could be nice to find  a place
to put a permanent cob bench, but Right now people move the chairs and  seating
around a lot, and seem to enjoy that freedom, so I'm not sure this is  really
needed, though.  And a cob oven seems a bit risky given our fire  season
challenges.  These are certainly favorite permaculture garden  stand-bys, but
perhaps don't have to be in every permaculture garden.

OTHER IDEAS?
If you have ideas or would like to suggest changes, additions etc., please
let us know.

WHAT DO WE NEED?

1) LABOR.  No garden happens without some grunt work.  We need  help
continuing the sheet mulching (layers of mulch, cardboard, more mulch),  enlarging the
circular wells around the fruit trees, planting food plants and  seeds under
the trees, weeding (especially hoeing out Bermuda grass on paths),  removal of
old raised beds, putting plastic squares and pipes in greenhouse or  shed,
etc.  Call Larry at 451-4168 if you'd like to help.  We'll also  schedule
regular work parties, which will include a potluck lunch and a one-hour  free talk
on a subject of interest to gardeners and permaculturists.

2) DONATIONS of plants -- lavender, sage, herbs, edibles, useful ornamental
plants etc.  Also rocks to outline paths, brick edging pavers  (preferably
straight ones), ordinary bricks. Bird baths, statuary, garden  benches,
hollowed-out rocks to hold water for wildlife, bird houses, etc.  would also be lovely.
Contact me at _lbuzzell at aol.com_ (mailto:lbuzzell at aol.com)  or 563-2089 if
you'd like do  donate something.

Happy Gardening!

Linda