[Scpg] "Biological democracy" and permaculture: recipe for survival?

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 08:45:52 PDT 2008

    COMMON SENSE AND SURVIVAL, By  William Kotke
(http://carolynbaker.net/site/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=616&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1#)
Tuesday, 29 July 2008

The graph line of the global population  explosion now goes upward almost
vertically. The graph line of reserves of  resources that fund that explosion
falls precipitously. The point at which  population crosses the food production
line is the point of the beginning  of the coming mass die-off of human
population.
Since Babylon, the type of human culture that  we live in has featured an
emperor or surrogate who is surrounded by a  handful of wealthy
militarist/financiers. These people own and rule the  realm. This class has historically gained
their power and wealth by  feeding off the people and by growth/conquest.
This class has always urged  growth as the means to increase their power and
wealth. There were always  new fertile lands to conquer and peoples to enslave.
The configuration of  the culture of empire which we call civilization, has not
changed in six  thousand years. Today in the U.S.A. less than one per cent of
the  population has more than three quarters of the wealth. Certainly they
have  enough wealth to buy and run the government and have a land ownership
pattern that rivals the land barons of Guatamala.
This culture has increased its population by  running a net deficit of the
fertility of the earth. The soils, forests,  fish stocks, pure water and
over-grazed and desertified landscapes have  been sacrificed to the god of growth.
Now there are no more fertile lands  to conquer and exploit, but the population
continues to grow and the  fossil fuel production reaches peak and begins to
decline. The culture  that has no vision of the future and no purpose other
than material  consumption hits the wall.
In the past few centuries the elites have  gained a new method of
growth/conquest. The lever of Science/technology  has been used to further their power.
Through the creation of  industrialism, we now live in a manufactured
environment. We civilized  people have created machines and been conditioned by the
machine world  until we begin to act in a machine-like manner. Powerless, we are
thoroughly dependent upon the machine for our food and shelter survival.
Alienated and atomized, we move around trying to fit into a niche in order  to
obtain survival. The pressure to move to a job breaks nuclear families  apart
and certainly precludes the existence of extended families. We have  become
interchangeable ciphers in the industrial machine. We have been  culturally
conditioned from birth to have great regard for non-living  manufactured items and
have been alienated from living things. We have  more regard for the dead wood
of a church than for a living forest.
Today, when we look at the numbers and look  back at those millions of acres
of exhausted and eroded soils, common  sense tells us that this is the end.
The Patriarchs of empire have  committed us to a fundamental biological error.
Any organism that wantonly  kills that which feeds it will not endure very
long. The culture of empire  does not have a political problem; it has a
biological problem. It lives  in a bubble of self-created definitions and has a
dysfunctional  relationship with the life of the earth. One might say that if the
humans  can't keep the planet alive, they certainly can't live here.
For several million years our successful  ancestors maintained adaptation to
the ecological energy flows of the  earth. Now, humans have become so
biologically maladapted that we are in  the third mass species die-off, the last one
being the dinosaurs.
It's just common sense that we throw out the  whole of the culture of
civilization. If even a small part of the human  species is to endure, we must return
to foundational principles.
The millenniums-old project of the imperial  elites to control every thing in
front of them and indeed, wishfully, the  universe, has failed.
THE SHIFT
The human species is seriously out of balance  with the natural world. The
obvious answer to this is for the species to  regain balance with the natural
world. Simple common sense morality would  say that first we need a society that
agrees that each of us is alive and  not a bio-robot and that each of our
lives have intrinsic value. We shift  from a war/competition - death focus to a
principle that all life has  value. Life is the growth system. Consuming living
ecologies in order to  amass piles of baubles is ultimately not a growth
system.
Common sense morality would say that we  humans should aid the living earth
and that the simple morality would be  that we humans aid in the complete
ecological restoration of the earth  back to its climax condition. This is the
least that we could do given the  grievous damage that has occurred. Of course
this is also the pathway  toward our survival.
A modern human normally enters the world in  an austere hospital, possibly
experiencing birth trauma. The child is  baby-sat by a TV and then later turned
over to a mass education  institution for further conditioning. After
graduating they get to work in  a cubicle until they retire and die.
In a culture in which the growth of life is  the paramount focus, the
pregnant mother would become a center of  community energy. Recent scholarship has
shown us how important it is for  both mother and baby to receive soothing and
comforting energies. Great  community energy would also be focused on the
children. Just like all the  other species around us, the "growing" of children
would be a central  activity. In a Life culture we would assume that the society
would be  formed in such a way as to encourage every possible talent of each
individual. As we symbolically move out of the patriarchal/intellectual to
the feminine/feeling mode the social dialog changes. The successful  growing of
life of all kinds requires a feeling for it and some  application of the
intellect. We would begin to follow perceptions and  conclusions brought to us by
our feelings rather than conclusions derived  solely from intellection.
HUMANS ON THE CUTTING EDGE
It's just common sense. If humans want to  live on this planet they will have
to restore the life of the earth. This  seems like a tall order but the
imminent death of billions is also a large  event.
Answers have come bubbling up out of our mass  intuition. For decades skills
have been building in the practice of  Permaculture so that seed communities
can restore ecosystems, build soil  fertility and produce more food per acre
than the industrial system.  Hand-made houses with solar advantages built from
local materials are  scattered around the planet. There are examples of
hand-made houses with  solar advantages that can heat and cool themselves without
outside energy.  The world-wide move to ecovillages is well under way with Russia
alone  having now over eight hundred.
Bill Mollison, one of the co-originators of  Permaculture says that, "Without
permanent agriculture there is no  possibility of a stable social order." The
intuitively forming ideal is  extended families occupying their own private
permaculture design with a  number of these families occupying a watershed. A
number of watersheds  constitute a bioregion. This is a natural
social/political framework in  which the needs of the earth are re-presented in human society
because the  humans are advocating for the life and gaining survival from
that life. We  might call this biological democracy.
Human/earth centered, rather than object  centered, this new movement
promises to become the next human culture.  Human social institutions tend to form
around food survival systems and be  resonant with the morals and purpose of
those different activities to gain  food; we would expect the new culture to do
the same. When some or all of  the seed communities make it through the
apocalypse, they will be the  ancestors.
Many flail about trying to save the dying  beast of empire by recycling their
tin cans or inventing free energy  machines but it is just common sense that
if we want to aid the life of  our great, great grandchildren we will ignore
the dying beast and put our  living energies into the new way of life.
By Wm. H. Kőtke, author of  the underground classic book: THE FINAL EMPIRE:
The Collapse of  Civilization and the Seed of the Future which can be viewed
at: _http://www.thefinalempirebook.com/_ (http://www.thefinalempirebook.com/) .
and Garden Planet: The Present Phase Change of the Human Species.  seen at:
_http://carolynbaker.net/site/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK1
A6/www.gardenplanetbook.com_
(http://carolynbaker.net/site/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK1A6/www.gardenplanetbook.com)   .  Telephone
orders at 1-888-280-7715 or at bookstores  everywhere.

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.