[Scpg] Sandy soils One other thought

Permacltur at aol.com Permacltur at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 12:22:54 PST 2008

I forgot to mention, because I'm not using it here presently, Mollison's
gardens which consist of a pit filled with organic matter, similar in principle to
the technique Kathryn mentioned, but requiring far fewer inputs.   In a
coastal situation, of course, seaweed is perfect as when used as a mulch it forms a
glei that washes into the soil and holds moisture while releasing trace
minerals, nitrogen and potassium.   Maybe some P, but I've no data on that.

For a description of Mollison's circle gardens, see the permaculture design
course pamphlets that are a free download from our website.   We are
resurrecting our Journal (The International Permaculture Solutions Journal) after a long
comatose period, and the first born-again issue will contain an extensive
article on patterning that includes a description of my modifications to
Mollison's method, especially useful if working on sloping land.   (Actually it is a
patterning section with articles by several authors, providing various examples
of patterning in permaculture based on circles and hexagonal arrays.)

Whatever you do, you need copious amounts of organic matter which really
aren't sustainable as you have to rip off some other place(s) to get the material.
  Of course the organic subsidy may be acceptable if you scrounge materials
that are going to be wasted anyway.   If you go this route, you want to
concentrate in intensively managing a small area to minimize the amount of hauling
(hard to do on this scale without pollution).

There is a book by an American expatriot names Solomon, now living in
Australia, titled something Gardening when it Counts or something like that.   He
takes the inverse approach and widely spaces plants for arid landscapes and
minimizes inputs.   Even though you may have an annual rainfall of 50 inches in
your area (at least that's what we've got), like most averages, this one is
meaningless and misleading.  First and foremost, the average includes the rainfall
we get during hurricanes.   In one hurricane this year, some folks on the
Atlantic coast got 3 feet of rain on one swell foop.   That goes into the average.
  Secondly, the evaporation potential here is horrendous due not only high
seasonal temperatures but all but constant wind in some seasons due to the
coastal effects that, for winds, work well inland.   Finally, rainfall is very
erratic here.  We had the 500 year flood in my area several years back DURING THE
'DRY SEASON'.   I negotiated my 'land' in paddle boat, clearing cattle fence
with lots of room to spare.   I'd been building up a chinampa in one area and I
literally couldn't even find it.   Likewise, we've had droughts during the
'rainy' season.
You don't have to worry about draining in the wet spells until your garden is
close to under water.   (I build chinampas and use tall containers for that.)
  Organic matter is all that you've got if you want to grow maladapted
vegetables in the dry spells, including winter and early spring when weather is most
favorable to conventional gardening.   (I've added clay and it just
disappears, the fine particles sliding down between the coarse sand and out of root
zones.)   The chinampas work partly because they are alternate layers of organic
matter and muck (if I can get it) or otherwise the best soil I can get.
These are lots of work and very time consuming to construct--not for someone who
wants to garden here over one winter.   Tree crops are the way to go.   I know
I said that in the last post.

By the way.   I never got the post Kathryn mentions by someone names John.
I'm most interested in what he had to say.

Dan Hemenway

Our 13th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online begins Sept. 28, 2008. The
protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/protocol8_4_08.pdf Simultaneously, we will begin a
concurrent Permaculture Design Clinic Online, serving people who mainly wish to
design their own homes.

A complete list of Yankee Permaculture publications by category may be
downloaded from:

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/YPCpublicationsbycategory.pdf

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and
favorite sites in one place.  Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&
icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)