[Scpg] details on "The Age of Stupid" climate change film premiering Sept 21

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Sun Aug 23 17:27:24 PDT 2009

On Monday, Sept 21 a new British film, "The Age of Stupid," will have its
global premiere.  In the US, the hip, youth-oriented,
drama-documentary-animation movie on “climate change, oil, war, politics,  consumerisim and human
stupidity” will launch from a solar-powered cinema tent  in New York live
to over 400 movie theaters across the country, timed for the  day before the
UN’s climate meeting on Sept 22nd, when 80 heads of state – and  therefore
the world’s media – will gather in New York.

Following the screening, there will be a 40-minute live event featuring
Kofi Annan, actress Gillian Anderson, the film’s director Franny Armstrong and
 star, Oscar-nominated British actor Pete Postlethwaite. Audiences will
also hear  from scientists working in the Himalayas and the Indonesian rain
forest via live  satellite link.  A group of children will speak from the very
room in  Copenhagen in which all our futures will be decided at the UN
climate summit in  December, and Radiohead’s Thom Yorke will wrap up the evening
with a short  acoustic performance.

Why all the hullabaloo?  Many believe this could be the next, far  hipper “
An Inconvenient Truth.” Pete Postlethwaite (“In the Name of the Father,”  “
Brassed Off") stars as a man born in the 2000s, now living alone in the
devastated world of 2055, looking back at “archive” footage from 2007 and
asking  why we didn’t stop climate change when we still had a chance?

Why were we so “stupid”?

The 92 minute film was filmed on location in America, the UK, India,
Nigeria, Iraq, Jordan and the Alps. In addition to Postlethwaite, it “stars” a
92-year old French mountain guide, an entrepreneur starting a low-cost
airline  in India, a Shell oil man who rescued 100 people after Hurricane
Katrina, an  African woman living in Shell’s most profitable oil region in Nigeria
and two  Iraqi refugee kids trying to find their brother.

On August 12, 2009 the New York Times commented on the unique way this film
 is being distributed:

"Quentin Tarantino never had to go through this.

"When “The Age of Stupid,” a climate change movie, “opens” across the
United States in September, it will play on some 400 screens in a one-night
event, with a video performance by Thom Yorke of Radiohead, all paid for by
the  filmmakers themselves and their backers. In Britain, meanwhile, the film
has  been showing via an Internet service that lets anyone pay to license a
copy, set  up a screening and keep the profit."

(_http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/business/media/13independent.html?_r=1_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/business/media/13independent.html?_r=1) )

Is this the kind of media it will take to help people around the world wake
 up to our precarious situation?  And if it is, will we take the next steps
 towards intelligent action?

For more information: _www.ageofstupid.net_ (http://www.ageofstupid.net)

To read this post on the Huffington Post, go to
_www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-buzzell_ (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-buzzell)