[Scpg] [sbperm] The next climate change action day: October 10, 2010

Barbara Wishingrad seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 19:32:16 PST 2010

Please remember that the People's World Conference on Climate Change and Mother Earth Rights takes place in Cochabamba, Bolivia April 19-22, 2010.  Bolivian President Evo Morales convoked the conference as a response to what happened, or what didn't happen, in Copenhagen in Dec 2009.
This is an incredible opportunity to think globally and act locally.
A recent post on 350.org. says “…In April, (Bolivia) will convene a major summit of progressive government leaders, social movement leaders, activists, and civil society to map out points of consensus and a plan for shifting the international debate on climate change towards an outcome that is fair and ambitious.  …their collaborative approach towards organizing this summit… reaches far beyond the anti-capitalist, radical wing of the movement that you might expect.  They have been working hard to reach out to a wide range of social movements and civil society, get invitations to government leaders with positions clearly different than their own, and map out an agenda that leads to open and honest conversations about a positive way forward.  In a post-Copenhagen world, their commitment and drive to building a broader and more powerful movement in 2010 is one of the most hopeful and inspiring things …to get involved with right now.”

Local Permaculture designer, water harvesting advocate, and longtime environmental steward, Barbara Wishingrad, will be attending the People's World Conference and representing Santa Barbara, particularly the Permaculture Guild of Santa Barbara, Transition Town CA, and Transition Town SB, as well as anyone else who is aligned with the need to work for global consensus about climate change.  Please let her know what you would like her to share at the event, as your representative. She is signed up for the working groups Harmonizing with Nature, Mother Earth Rights, and Shared Vision.  She plans to share about the amazing projects we have going here in the SB area, including embracing Architecture 2030 and Fossil Free by 33, and to return to Santa Barbara to do presentations about the process and outcome of the conference and to join with others locally to carry the work forward, to October 10, 2010 and beyond.  If we can't keep it going, what's the point
 of the conference?

Seventeen virtual working groups have started in February and those not able to attend in person can participate by becoming part of an online working group. see http://pwccc.wordpress.com/ for more info in English.
groups include: 	* 01. Structural causes
	* 02. Harmony with Nature
	* 03. Mother Earth Rights
	* 04. Referendum
	* 05. Climate Justice Tribunal
	* 06. Climate Migrants
	* 07. Indigenous Peoples
	* 08. Climate Debt
	* 09. Shared Vision
	* 10. Kyoto Protocol
	* 11. Adaptation
	* 12. Financing
	* 13. Technology Transfer
	* 14. Forest
	* 15. Dangers of Carbon Market
	* 16. Action Strategies
	* 17. Agriculture and food sovereignty
 "To live outside the law, you must be honest"...Bob Dylan