[Scpg] Water: Our Thirsty World National Geographic April 2010

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Mar 28 10:18:50 PDT 2010

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/04/table-of-contents

Water: Our Thirsty World
Current Issue
April 2010

By 2050, a third of the people on Earth may lack a clean, secure
source of water. Join National Geographic in exploring the local
stories and global trends that define the world's water crisis. Learn
about freshwater resources and how they are used to feed, power, and
sustain all life. See how the forces of technology, climate, human
nature, and policy create challenges and drive solutions for a
sustainable planet.

Freshwater Crisis
By 2050 a third of the people on Earth may lack a clean, secure
source of water. Learn more about challenges and solutions.

Tibetan Plateau
Sometimes called the Third Pole, the region is a lockbox of snow and
glacial ice that supplies fresh water to nearly a third of the
world's people.

Parting the Waters
The Jordan River is now depleted by drought, pollution, and overuse.
Could the fight to save it forge a path toward peace?

Get the Salt Out
There's no shortage of water on the blue planet-just a shortage of
fresh water. New desalination technologies may help.

Silent Streams
Freshwater animals are vanishing faster than those on land or at sea.
But captive-breeding programs hold out hope.

The Last Drop
We may not get all the water we want. But we can have the water we need.

Behind the Photos
National Geographic photographers traveled around the world to report
for this special water issue. Hear their stories and see their photos.

Visions of Earth
Each month, National Geographic features breathtaking photographs in
Visions of Earth.

  Highlights

How to Help
Access to clean, fresh water is a pressing problem around the world.
These are a few of the many groups that are trying to help.

Editor's Note
Two percent of fresh water is locked in snow and ice, leaving less
than one percent for us.

Our Thirsty World
The Annenberg Space for Photography presents an exhibit examining the
precarious state of the world's fresh water.