[Scpg] Fw: Is that mac & cheese talking to your child? Stop grocery shelf TV ads

Barbara Wishingrad seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 20:42:23 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood
<ccfc at commercialfreechildhood.org>
To: seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 7:06:29 AM
Subject: Is that mac & cheese talking to your child? Stop grocery shelf TV ads

The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood
 Reclaiming Childhood from Corporate Marketers
If you are having difficulty viewing  this  email, please click here.
"Having TV screens all over the grocery stores undermines my parenting!   You
simply cannot avoid the presence of television!  Not only are they   getting to
play their ads for our kids, but they are sending the  message  that it is
normal to stare at a screen all day...in the car, at  the  store, in
school...It's truly sickening."
- CCFC member Samantha  Penrose, mother of three, Urbana, IL

"TV as it was meant to be!  (You know, for advertising!)"
- 3GTv's trademarked slogan

This fall, Food Lion supermarkets will unleash 3GTv, mini-televisions attached
to grocery store shelves running continuous commercials -- right next to the
product being advertised.  If a test run in Maryland and Virginia is successful,
other supermarkets are sure to follow Food Lion's lead.  That's why, no matter
where you live or shop, Food Lion needs to hear from you.

Do you agree that families have a right to grocery shop without being forced to
run a gauntlet of screens blasting commercials in every aisle?  Take a moment to
tell Food Lion to pull the plug on its grocery store TVs.

Screen-based advertising has erupted into the public sphere where it is
inescapable.  Even the most vigilant parents can't protect children from it.
It's time to challenge the notion that marketers have the right to fill every
nook and cranny of our lives with televisions and their blaring commercials.

It's bad enough that popular children's characters like Dora the Explorer and
Shrek beckon from packaging on grocery shelves, encouraging children to nag for
snacks and cereals of dubious nutritional quality.  It's even worse that many
supermarkets have TVs at the checkout counter, exploiting a captive audience
waiting in line to pay for groceries.  But now, at the exact moment families are
making purchasing decisions, in-your-face TV ads will undercut parental
authority by compelling children to lobby for whatever is being advertised.

So let's stop 3GTv before it even starts and keep it from spreading to every
supermarket aisle across the country.  The continuing intrusion of marketing
into public space disrupts our ability to pay attention to each other and
corrodes our sense of community. Take action now to stop TV ads from coming to a
grocery store near you.

If you're on Facebook, please share this.  On Twitter?  Please tweet:
RT @CommercialFree I just told @FoodLion to pull the plug on grocery shelf TVs.
http://bit.ly/balqWq

The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood
NonProfit Center
89 South St., #404
Boston, MA 02111
www.commercialfreechildhood.org