[Scpg] Prince Charles speech on Low Carbon Prosperity at the European Parliament 2011

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Feb 19 08:28:03 PST 2011

Prince Charles speech on Low Carbon Prosperity at the European Parliament 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCJChbzmts&feature=player_embedded

9th February 2011 Prince Charles discusses the
problems and solutions to our environment and the
effects and close connection of industry on our
environment.

The Summit was attended by over 300 MEPs,
economists including Lord Stern, together with
business leaders from The Prince of Wales's EU
Corporate Leaders Group on Climate Change, the P8
Group of leading Pension Funds and the
Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change.

"Now I have to say, this process has not exactly
been helped by the corrosive effect on public
opinion of those climate change sceptics who deny
the vast body of scientific evidence that shows
beyond any reasonable doubt that global warming
HAS been exacerbated by human industrialized
activity.

Their suggestion that hundreds of scientists
around the world, and those who accept their
dispassionate evidence - including presumably
ladies and gentlemen myself, who rather
ironically am constantly accused of being
anti-science - are somehow unconsciously biased
creates the implication that many of us are,
somehow, secretly conspiring to undermine and
deliberately destroy the entire market-based
capitalist system which now dominates the world!

So I would ask how these people are going to face
their grandchildren and admit to them that they
actually failed their future; that they ignored
all the clear warning signs by passing them off
as merely part of a "cyclical process" that had
happened many times before and was beyond our
control, that they had refused to heed the
desperate cries of those last remaining
traditional societies throughout the world who
warned consistently, CONSISTENTLY of catastrophe,
because they could read the signs of impending
disintegration in the ever-more violent, extreme
aberrations in the normally, harmonious patterns
of Nature.

So I wonder, will such people be held accountable
at the end of the day for the absolute refusal to
countenance a precautionary approach, for this
plays I would suggest a most reckless game of
roulette with the future inheritance of those who
come after us? An inheritance ladies and
gentlemen that will be shaped by what you decide
to do here in this Parliament."

For more information on the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability:
http://princescharities.org/cambridge...

For a full transcript of the speech:
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/speechesandarticles/a_speech_by_hrh_the_prince_of_wales_to_the_low_carbon_prospe_1007667674.html

A speech by HRH The Prince of Wales to the Low
Carbon Prosperity Summit at the European
Parliament, Brussels
9th February 2011
Presidents,
Distinguished guests,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Having only fairly recently been afforded the
privilege of addressing this Parliament, I was
somewhat astonished - indeed touched - to be
invited back again to discuss the crucial subject
of how we can shift our economies onto a lower
carbon trajectory. I realise only too well that
you are engaged ceaselessly with momentous
issues, not least how to navigate the turbulent
currents of this difficult and serious economic
climate. But it is certainly heartening that
here, in Brussels, so much thought is being given
to the profound changes we need if Europe is to
cope with the long-term economic consequences of
climate change and the depletion of the world's
natural capital. If I may - and since you have
been rash enough to ask me in the first place! -
I would like to take this opportunity to consider
why there is no more pressing problem and also
how, perhaps, it might be addressed.

First and foremost, I believe, we need to deepen
our understanding of the relationships between
food, energy, water and economic security and the
policies which are put in place in those areas;
this is increasingly important given the rising
demand and competition for land and other
resources, which is already having an impact on
prices and is exacerbated, as you will have no
doubt have noticed, by rapidly changing weather
patternsŠ

I am a historian, not an economist, but it is
plain to me that responding to these problems
with a "business as usual" approach towards our
pursuit of G.D.P. growth offers only short-term
relief, not a long-term cure. Why? Because I
cannot see how we can possibly maintain the
growth of Growth Domestic Product (GDP) in the
long-term if we continue to consume our planet as
voraciously as we are doing. We have to see that
there is a direct relationship between the
resilience of Nature's ecosystems and the
resilience of our national economies. And, let us
not forget, it is on that resilience that our
future prosperity actually dependsŠ

I know there is a great deal of debate about the
meaning of resilience. I cannot help but think it
means an ability to absorb, repel and adapt to
external shocks and without it we have very
little, if any, capacity for mitigation and
adaptation. If the fabric of the Earth's
life-support system fragments, as it appears it
may be starting to do; if those systems become
weak or even collapse - essentially, if

Nature's capital loses its innate resilience -
then how long does it take for our economic
capital and economic systems to lose their
resilience too?

A graphic example of this, ladies and gentlemen,
is found in the fate of the world's rainforests.
Having already felled or burned a third of the
world's tropical rainforests in the last fifty
years, six million hectares of rainforest
continue to disappear every year. That of course
is the equivalent area of nearly twenty-four
thousand football pitches every day! And with
them go tens of thousands of species of plant and
animal - gone forever, into extinction, together
with who knows how many vital cures and medicines
and innovative biomimetic solutions to the
problem we are facing. And because the trees are
not there to transfer billions of tonnes of water
to the atmosphere, so the world's weather
patterns are disrupted which, in turn, seriously
undermines the stability of food production. So,
you see, burning a hectare of rainforest has a
direct impact upon the livelihoods of many
communities and, thus, a direct impact on
economic growth and prosperity at a local level.
This has been underlined in recent days by the
discovery that the 'once in a hundred year
drought' (that by the way has now occurred twice
in five years!) has killed so many trees in the
Amazon that the depleted forest may be becoming a
source of greenhouse gas rather than a store.

Stopping deforestation is not a lifestyle choice,
it is an absolutely critical part of any low
carbon growth plan. If we fail to address this
problem, despite everything else we might do,
there is no answer to climate change.

Neither is there any way around the fact that we
have to move away from our conventional economic
model of growth, based, as it is, on the
production and consumption of high carbon
intensity goods. We need to meet the challenge of
decoupling economic growth from increased
consumption in such a way that both the wellbeing
of Nature's ecology and our own economic needs do
not suffer. It seems to me that we need a
framework focussed on resilience that enables us
to recalibrate and balance our approach. If we do
not think about creating such a framework and
resolve that central dilemma soon, then I fear we
are in for a very rough ride indeed. The trouble
is we do not have the luxury of failure and
success will be in building low carbon industries
that provide not only substantial economic
opportunity, but also a means to ensure Europe's
competitiveness.

There are, happily, some encouraging signs of
progress. I have followed closely - and have been
very encouraged by - the Strategic Energy
Technology plan which aims to transform the
entire European energy system - how we source it,
produce it, transport and trade it. This is a big
step towards making low carbon technologies
affordable and competitive and, therefore, a
market choice. In fact, if I may say so, with
this particular initiative you have offered a
very encouraging example to the rest of the world.

I know only too well the difficulties in you must
have encountered in mustering support for the
E.U. (European Union) target of reducing
greenhouse gases by twenty per cent by 2020. But
climate scientists by their hundreds are warning
that if we are to avert the worst consequences of
climate change we have to reduce CO2 emissions by
at least fifty per cent by 2050. That can only
mean your 2020 target has to be a minimum
ambition. I know that many in the E.U. aspire to
agree a target of reducing greenhouse gasses by
thirty per cent, and I can only applaud their
efforts.
Let us not forget that the oil-dependent,
high-input, industrialized form of agriculture
which now dominates food production around the
world ties food prices firmly to the price of
oil. One study estimates that a person on a
typical Western diet is, in effect, consuming 4.4
litres of diesel per day and this factor helped
push the F.A.O.'s Food Price Index up last
December to its highest level since it was
created in 1999. We should also bear in mind that
we live in a world where one billion people go
hungry and another billion are nutritionally
deficient, while yet another billion suffer from
the health impacts of over-eating and obesity;
mostly in richer countries where billions of
dollars worth of food are also wasted and thrown
away every year. At the same time, in the
developing world around forty per cent of
agricultural produce is wasted before it even
gets to market. Poor land management means that
yields are frequently at only forty per cent of
capacityŠ This is surely an insane situation.
And sadly, our highly intensive form of
agriculture also effects our marine environment
as nutrient enrichment caused by agricultural
run-off is becoming a major issue for marine
health. As you will know better than I, nutrient
enrichment leads to algal blooms which cause
significant depletion of dissolved oxygen levels
in the water and so create "dead zones" that are
uninhabitable to fish. The U.N.E.P.'s Global
Environment Outlook report in 2004 cited over 140
dead zones world-wide - among the largest and
most famous being the one that occurs annually in
the Gulf of Mexico due to run-off from the U.S.
corn belt. In 2002, this particular dead zone was
estimated to be the size of Massachusetts.
Furthermore, and I have to say, not very
encouragingly, a recent report from Denmark
suggested a possible scenario, where a
combination of higher temperatures and increased
levels of carbon-dioxide leads to a rise in these
persistent dead zones from just under two per
cent of oceans (today) to in excess of twenty per
cent (by 2100).

It is perhaps worth noting that twenty-five per
cent of the carbon dioxide we emit is absorbed by
the oceans. But, it appears that the capacity of
the oceans to continue this function is
decreasing due to the loss of coastal habitat:
for example 13.5 giga-tonnes of carbon dioxide
will be released within the next fifty years as a
result of mangrove clearance that occurred
between 1980 and 2005 (much of this due to shrimp
farming for the European market). This is
equivalent to all transport-related emissions in
twenty seven E.U. countries over a fifteen year
period from 1997 to 2005.

In addition to these problems, the health and
productivity of our oceans is also at threat from
over-fishing, climate change, toxic pollution,
invasive species and habitat degradation. These
multiple threats make it imperative that a
holistic and precautionary approach is adopted in
order to manage marine ecosystems so as to ensure
maximum food security benefit from fisheries and
while understanding the carbon-related
consequences of assuming that aquaculture will be
able to fill the protein gap from the precipitous
decline of wild fisheries.

I suspect I may not be alone in thinking it
strange, to say the least, that, globally,
despite subsidies in the region of sixteen
billion dollars of public money every year, we
appear to be close to bringing the fishing
industry to its knees. It is worth recognizing
that the fishing industry contributes over 200
billion dollars a year to global G.D.P., but may
not be able to do so for much longer. But here,
in the midst of such a big problem, lies a
potential solution which could be of use to the
other sectoral challenges we face. Research into
the state and future of the North East Atlantic
Bluefin Tuna fishery estimates that subsidies of
around 120 million dollars return an annual
profit of only around 70 million dollars. The
research found that a sustainable future for the
fishery, even without subsidies, could produce
annual profits of 310 million dollars per year,
if tuna stocks could recover to a sustainable
level. The World Bank's own estimates suggest
that if we were to eradicate the perverse
subsidies which currently exist, curb overfishing
and improve ineffective management, then the
global fishing industry could contribute 250
billion dollars per year to global G.D.P., and on
a sustainable basis.
This offers at least hope of a long-term cure,
rather than a short-term form of relief and one
from which the vast majority of stakeholders
would benefit. I know it would require difficult
decisions and even more difficult implementation
measures. But, if we lift our eyes from the "here
and now" and look to the future, I wonder if we
really have any alternative?

Ladies and gentlemen, I hope you can see my
point. Essentially we have to do more today to
avert the catastrophes of tomorrow, and we can
only do that by changing the way we frame our
approach to the economic problems that confront
us. If we are to make our agricultural and marine
systems resilient in the long-term, for instance,
we have to design policies in every sector that
bring the true costs of environmental destruction
and the depletion of natural capital to the fore.

Having looked at these issues for very nearly
thirty years and, being fortunate enough to have
consulted some of the world's most eminent
experts, I wonder if I might just share with you
a couple of observations about how it seems to
me, at least, it might be possible to do this?

I would certainly suggest that social and
economic stability is built on valuing and
supporting local communities and their
traditions, recognising as does the Report from
the International Assessment for Agriculture
Knowledge, Science and Technology for
Development, recognising the contribution which,
for example, diverse farming systems make to
economic and ecosystem resilience. Policies that
encourage diverse landscapes, communities and
products can generate all sorts of positive
results, not just in agriculture, but in tourism,
forestry and industry. So, there is a need for
policies that focus funding on strengthening
diversity. Might there be, perhaps, benefit in
public finance being more specifically directed
using "smart subsidies?" The aim would be to
target a diversity of production in more specific
ways while protecting public goods. This is vital
if we are to strengthen the resilience of our
agriculture, marine and energy systems so that
they can ensure supply and thus withstand those
sudden shocks on international markets which are
bound to come our way, given the impact of
climate change.

I would also suggest we need a different approach
to profit and loss which would support Corporate
Social Environmental and Economic Responsibility
and give us the means to evaluate the impact of
our actions properly. This was, incidentally,
what drove me to set up my Accounting for
Sustainability project six years ago. The aim was
to develop a new approach to business reporting
which reflects the interconnected impact of
financial, environmental and social elements on
an organization's long-term performance. And, I
must say, I am delighted that an increasing
number of organizations - including the British
Government and international groups like E.D.F.
Energy, H.S.B.C. and Aviva - are adopting this
system of "Integrated Reporting." In fact, last
year I expanded the project by launching an
international group, supported by many of the
world's accounting and standard-setting bodies,
as well as many major international accounting
firms, Stock Exchanges and the U.N. What has
pleased me most is that this initiative
pre-empted the findings of the U.N.'s study into
The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity, or
T.E.E.B., which reported last Summer to the
gathering of 193 Environment Ministers in Nagoya.
Having conducted a global assessment of the
multi-trillion dollar importance to the world's
economy of the natural world, it called for the
present system of national accounts to be
upgraded rapidly so they include the health of
natural capital, and thereby accurately reflect
how the services offered by natural ecosystems
are performing.

Underpinning any new framework, undoubtedly, is
the need for an integrated set of long-term
public policies and instruments to encourage a
"green economy." Such an economy would rely on
sustainable asset management, more productive
processing of waste, the construction of new,
zero-carbon buildings and the retro-fitting of
existing stock and on achieving stringent energy
efficiency targets for our buildings, cars and
household goods. If only we could look at the
world in this new way, we could create
significant - and, crucially, sustainable -
economic opportunities. It would be an economy
that would, on the one hand, put much more
emphasis on planning sustainable urban
developments and helping businesses to maintain
biodiversity and safeguard ecosystems, while, on
the other, placing less reliance on those
government subsidies and mechanisms which,
perversely, can end up eroding the vital, natural
components that provide us with our essential
capital resources.

For these solutions to be implemented at scale we
would have to see effective partnerships between
the public and private sectors, as the President
just mentioned, and they would also need to
involve the knowledge of many highly expert,
non-governmental organizations. We could not
leave it to the market alone. Long-term public
sector policies need to be coherent and
consistent in order to create an environment
which is conducive to private sector investment.

Only in this way will the private sector be
prepared to commit investment capital.

The market certainly offers a means of
accelerating changes in behaviour but, to be
genuinely effective, these changes must be
focussed and clearly directed by long-term
policies, and that means robust legislation and,
dare I say it, just as robust enforcement.

Now I would merely add to this list one very
important acknowledgement, if I may, and that is
the role of the consumer. It seems to me that
until we all as consumers really begin to demand
sustainable products and services from businesses
and Governments, then policy-makers will struggle
to see the importance of introducing real change.

Lately, I have been asking myself why the public
has not eagerly embraced the many advantages in
pursuing a sustainable future. My conclusion is
that, for too long, environmentalists have tended
to concentrate on what people need to stop doing.
If we are constantly told that living
environmentally-friendly lives means giving up
all that makes life worthwhile, then it is no
surprise that people refuse to change! That is
why, last year, I launched a new initiative
called START, which aims to show people what they
could start doing - the simple steps that we can
all take to make better use of our natural
resources. By working with some of Europe's
leading companies, such as Kingfisher and
Eurostar, as well as celebrities and marketing
professionals, we are unashamedly attempting to
sell the benefits of sustainability.

As one advertising executive put it to me, we are
"making it cool to use less stuff." Believe it or
not, this smarter approach can actually be more
profitable. As Marks and Spencer have found, an
innovative approach to sustainability actually
saves money.

I have to say, this process has not exactly been
helped by the corrosive effect on public opinion
of those climate change sceptics who deny the
vast body of scientific evidence that shows
beyond any reasonable doubt that global warming
has been exacerbated by human industrialized
activity. Their suggestion that hundreds of
scientists around the world, and those who accept
their dispassionate evidence - including
presumably and gentlemen myself, rather
ironically I am constantly accused of being
anti-science - are somehow unconsciously biased
creates the implication that many of us are,
somehow, secretly conspiring to undermine and
deliberately destroy the entire market-based
capitalist system which now dominates the world!
I would ask how these people are going to face
their grandchildren and admit to them that they
actually failed their future; that they ignored
all the clear warning signs by passing them off
as merely part of a "cyclical process" that had
happened many times before and was beyond our
control; that they had refused to heed the
desperate cries of those last remaining
traditional societies throughout the world who
warned consistently of catastrophe because they
could read the signs of impending disintegration
in the ever-more violent, extreme aberrations in
the normally, harmonious patterns of

Nature. I wonder, will such people be held
accountable at the end of the day for the
absolute refusal to countenance a precautionary
approach, for this plays I would suggest a most
reckless game of roulette with the future
inheritance of those who come after us? An
inheritance that will be shaped by what you
decide to do here in this Parliament.

Ladies and gentlemen, you have been remarkably
patient in listening to me. I promise you, what
you decide here could induce the very necessary
adjustments we so urgently need to make. So can I
ask if you will be courageous enough to seize the
moment, set Europe on a course for survival and
economic prosperity and so earn the endless
gratitude of our descendantsŠ?

Latest Speeches and Articles