[Scpg] Naomi Klein talks to Rob Hopkins about "Inner Transition"

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 09:20:54 PDT 2011

An interview by Transition movement founder/permaculture teacher Rob
Hopkins with author Naomi Klein (Shock Doctrine) that's well worth  reading...

Linda

_http://transitionculture.org/2011/03/23/an-interview-with-naomi-klein-part-
one-that-world-view-is-killing-us-and-that-that-world-view-needs-to-be-repla
ced-with-another-world-view-%E2%80%9D/_
(http://transitionculture.org/2011/03/23/an-interview-with-naomi-klein-part-one-that-world-view-is-killing-us-an
d-that-that-world-view-needs-to-be-replaced-with-another-world-view-”/)

"... I know how important it is [inner transition].  I think that the
failure to include the  psychological, the spiritual, the mythological, and how
we talk about traumatic  political information, is a political failure and it’
s something that I think  the environmental movement really needs to
learn...
...I think that’s really something that has been missing.  I think the
movement has lost its feminine  side.  I have a bit of a thing about how we have
to stop looking at  the Earth from space – like with the astronaut’s eye
view.  I understand  that theme of the planet being fragile as a breakthrough
in environmental  consciousness, but now I think we need to get over the
idea that we’re  hovering over the planet and can see it from space, and get
back down in the  dirt! ...
...we shouldn’t be surprised that there is a collapse in the belief in
climate change on the right, because it is more of a challenge to that
ideological world view.  One thing  that the women’s movement did really well was
to understand that if you’re going  to critique patriarchy, you’re
essentially critiquing the world we all grew up  with, right?  But if you do that,
you have to be around to pick up the  pieces.  You can’t just explode someone’
s world view and walk out – “go be  an activist!”  I think it’s intensely
political, that that component  is so embedded here [in the Totnes, UK
Transition movement] and that  there’s so much collective wisdom around the
psychology of change.
...the place where I had seen a Transition process up close and
dramatically  was when I was in Argentina for a couple of years, with the economic
crisis  that started in 2001.  I was realising talking to this group of women
today, all of whom are psychotherapists, that one of the things about
Argentina  that makes it really interesting is that it has the highest percentage
of  psychotherapists per capita!  I think it was part of the reason why there
 was such a sophisticated political consciousness and a lot of
psychologists and psychiatrists in Argentina are activists, and  they do diagnose the
wider society beyond the patient!  That  discussion of everyone understanding
that they’re up against fear is  quite unique.