[Scpg] SB County Agrifood Workshop LOGISTICS/Fri.Sat, May 20, 21

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue May 3 00:21:17 PDT 2011

Dear Santa Barbara County Workshop Attendees,

We are excited that you will be participating in the workshop at
UCSB: "Localizing agrifood systems-research, action and policy",
hosted by the Santa Barbara County Agrifood Systems research group at
UCSB, directed by David Cleveland.

Title: Workshop: Localizing Santa Barbara County agrifood
systems-research, action and policy.

Workshop Website: <http://es.ucsb.edu/esconf>http://es.ucsb.edu/esconf

Date: Friday, May 20, 12pm - 6:30pm

Saturday, May 21, 8am - 8:00pm.

Location:

McCune Workshop Room, 6020 HSSB, UCSB.

Sponsored by UCSB's Academic Senate Sustainability Champion Program,
Environmental Studies Program, and Interdisciplinary Humanities
Center.

This workshop will bring together participants in the SB County
agrifood system (farmers, policy makers, distributors, students,
researchers, and agriculture and food advocates) to begin moving
toward a future for Santa Barbara County and our region that is
locally oriented, environmentally sound, socially responsible and
economically viable.

ALL WORKSHOP PARTICIPANTS MUST BE PREREGISTERED!

1.	Please look at the WORKSHOP SCHEDULE that is attached.

2.	Please take less than a minute to FILL OUT THIS RSVP SURVEY
so we can make sure we have diverse participants in each session and
enough good food to feed participants.

<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6HYFD3L>Session and Meal Attendance
Questionnaire :
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6HYFD3L>http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6HYFD3L

3.	SEND US 10 WORDS that describe your involvement in the SB
County agrifood system for your name tag word cloud on the survey
above.

4.	More information will be sent to all participants closer to
the conference. It will also be posted on the conference website:
<http://es.ucsb.edu/esconf>http://es.ucsb.edu/esconf

5.	If you have posters of the research or programs you are
working on that support localizing the SBC agrifood system, please
let us know. We will select the most appropriate ones for display
during the workshop.

6.	Please call Corie Radka at (714) 600-6706 with comments,
question, or suggestions, or email
<mailto:sbc.agrifoodworkshop at gmail.com>sbc.agrifoodworkshop at gmail.com

See the attached document for the Workshop Schedule

We aimed to cater to both farmers and people in the normal workday so
both entities can be present for all discussions. We hope those
working on Friday could make it a priority to take a half day and
come get a free local and organic lunch before we kick off the first
session of the workshop.

The workshop will be focused on produce. Our decision to focus the
workshop on produce (fruits and vegetables) is based on the following
: 1) fruits and vegetables dominate SBC agriculture economically,
with 82% of total value in 2009; 2) produce accounts for most of the
prime farmland, irrigation and other production inputs; 3) produce
dominates direct sales of agricultural products in SBC (e.g. 79% of
total agricultural sales at Santa Barbara Certified Farmers Markets);
and 4) produce contains nutrients widely believed to be lacking in US
diets (while many SBC residents have low nutritional status and food
security).

Each session panel will be followed by breakout sessions in which all
workshop attendees will participate. The goal of these breakout
sessions is build on the panel discussions to create an agenda for
the research, actions and policies needed to localize the SBC AFS

After the workshop the SBC AFS research group will edit and
distribute the results with help from workshop attendees. Action
items identified at this workshop that need organization to initiate
will be initiated by a student group in the summer. Depending on the
workshop results, this could mean organizing meetings, keeping people
informed, or initiating further research.

Looking forward to seeing you on May 20-21,

David Cleveland, Professor

Corie Radka, Research Assistant

Environmental Studies Program, UCSB

--