[Scpg] Marcin Jakubowski: Open-sourced blueprints for civilization

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu May 5 07:24:15 PDT 2011

http://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski.html

Speakers Marcin Jakubowski: Farmer and technologist

Marcin Jakubowski is open-sourcing a set of blueprints for 50 farming
tools that can be built cheaply from scratch. Call it a "civilization
starter kit."
Why you should listen to him:

Declaring that, "We can lead self-sustaining lives without
sacrificing our standard of living," Marcin Jakubowski believes that
only by opening the means of production can we achieve abundance for
all. Though he has a Ph.D. in fusion physics, he became dissatisfied
with its remoteness, and turned back to the earth as a farmer and
social innovator.

He is the founder of Open Source Ecology
http://opensourceecology.org/, which is creating the Global Village
Construction Set - the blueprints for simple fabrication of
everything needed to start a self-sustaining village. At Factor e
Farm in rural Missouri, he's been successfully putting those ideas to
the test.
"It's not reinventing the wheel; it's open-sourcing the wheel."
Julia Valentine, farmer, in The Atlantic

The Global Village Construction Set (GVCS) is a modular, DIY,
low-cost, high-performance platform that allows for the easy
fabrication of the 50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to
build a small, sustainable civilization with modern comforts.

About this talk
Using wikis and digital fabrication tools, TED Fellow Marcin
Jakubowski is open-sourcing the blueprints for 50 farm machines,
allowing anyone to build their own tractor or harvester from scratch.
And that's only the first step in a project to write an instruction
set for an entire self-sustaining village (starting cost: $10,000).

Hi, my name is Marcin -- farmer, technologist. I was born in Poland,
now in the U.S. I started a group called Open Source Ecology. We've
identified the 50 most important machines that we think it takes for
modern life to exist -- things from tractors, bread ovens, circuit
makers. Then we set out to create an open source, DIY, do it yourself
version that anyone can build and maintain at a fraction of the cost.
We call this the Global Village Construction Set.
So let me tell you a story. So I finished my 20s with a Ph.D. in
fusion energy, and I discovered I was useless. I had no practical
skills. The world presented me with options, and I took them. I guess
you can call it the consumer lifestyle. So I started a farm in
Missouri and learned about the economics of farming. I bought a
tractor -- then it broke. I paid to get it repaired -- then it broke
again. Then pretty soon I was broke too.
I realized that the truly appropriate, low-cost tools that I needed
to start a sustainable farm and settlement just didn't exist yet. I
needed tools that were robust, modular, highly efficient and
optimized, low-cost, made from local and recycled materials that
would last a lifetime, not designed for obsolescence. I found that I
would have to build them myself. So I did just that. And I tested
them. And I found that industrial productivity can be achieved on a
small scale.
So then I published the 3D designs, schematics, instructional videos
and budgets on a wiki. Then contributors from all over the world
began showing up, prototyping new machines during dedicated project
visits. So far, we have prototyped eight of the 50 machines. And now
the project is beginning to grow on its own.
We know that open source has succeeded with tools for managing
knowledge and creativity. And the same is starting to happen with
hardware too. We're focusing on hardware because it is hardware that
can change people's lives in such tangible material ways. If we can
lower the barriers to farming, building, manufacturing, then we can
unleash just massive amounts of human potential.
That's not only in the developing world. Our tools are being made for
the American farmer, builder, entrepreneur, maker. We've seen lots of
excitement from these people, who can now start a construction
business, parts manufacturing, organic CSA or just selling power back
to the grid. Our goal is a repository of published designs so clear,
so complete, that a single burned DVD is effectively a civilization
starter kit.
I've planted a hundred trees in a day. I've pressed 5,000 bricks in
one day from the dirt beneath my feet and built a tractor in six
days. From what I've seen, this is only the beginning.
If this idea is truly sound, then the implications are significant. A
greater distribution of the means of production, environmentally
sound supply chains, and a newly-relevant DIY maker culture can hope
to transcend artificial scarcity. We're exploring the limits of what
we all can do to make a better world with open hardware technology.
Thank you.
(Applause)
What to watch next