[Scpg] SAT Nov 12/Urban Roots Film showing at SBCC (Fe Bland), 4pm

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Nov 11 08:38:59 PST 2011

“Urban Roots” Film Screening
  Benefits Local Community Kitchen
Saturday, November 12 at 4:00 pm, Free
Santa Barbara City College, West Campus,  Fe Bland Auditorium

Casa Esperanza announces organic community garden program,
  commemorates National Hunger and Homelessness
Awareness Week November 12th – 20th

  Donations will be accepted at the door and all
proceeds will benefit Casa Esperanza and the Community Kitchen

Santa Barbara, CA, October 31, 2011—Casa
Esperanza Homeless Center is hosting the Santa
Barbara premiere film screening of “Urban Roots”
in recognition of National Hunger and
Homelessness Awareness Week. Admission is free and open to the public.

“Urban Roots is an inspiring film about the
emergence of urban farming in Detroit; it shows
what’s possible after the collapse of the
industrial era and how we begin building a
sustainable future for all.” – Leonardo DiCaprio

Casa Esperanza is showing their participation in
National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week
(November 12-20th) with a newly planted community
garden – facilitated by a formerly homeless
Detroit donor, in collaboration with Noey Turk,
owner of Yes Yes Nursery, in Santa Barbara.

‘Farmed’ by staff, volunteers and members, the
year-round garden will help supplement Community
Kitchen meals with fresh seasonal produce. 365
days a year, Casa Esperanza’s Community Kitchen
is open serving Santa Barbara’s hungry, homeless,
and those at risk of becoming homeless.  The
program provides up to 600 meals a day. Casa
Esperanza offers a wide array of services for the
homeless, with an emphasis on emotional and physical health.

*** EVENT/MEDIA ADVISORY ***

WHO:          Casa Esperanza and Community
Kitchen staff; Community Garden job trainees and
volunteers; community leaders;

WHAT:       Santa Barbara premiere film screening
of “Urban Roots”. Admission is free and open to
the public. Donations are accepted at the door
and all proceeds will benefit Casa Esperanza and the Community Kitchen.

WHEN:       Saturday, November 12, 2011; 4:00 p.m.

WHERE:     Santa Barbara City College, Fe Bland
Auditorium (use West Campus entrance from Cliff Drive)

  INFO/RSVP: RSVP online at
<http://www.casa-esperanza.org/>www.casa-esperanza.org
or Rob Grayson (805) 884-0123

MEDIA CONTACT: Media Contact, Juliana Minsky (805) 687-3322

“Casa Esperanza and the Community Kitchen are an
important safety net for people who are hungry or
homeless, but we also play a major force in
getting people back to productive lives with
programs like our new community garden which will
provide job opportunities and job training for
our members.” said Rob Grayson, Casa Esperanza
Director of Development. “We hope this powerful
movie will inspire people to look closely at our
relationship with food and how local community
gardens and farming can create opportunities for our community,”

“Urban Roots” is the next documentary film from
Tree Media.  Produced by Leila Conners
(co-producer of “The 11th Hour” with Leonardo
DiCaprio) and Mathew Schmid and directed by Mark
MacInnis, the film follows the urban farming
phenomenon in Detroit.  “Urban Roots” is a
timely, moving and inspiring film that speaks to
a nation grappling with collapsed industrial
towns and the need to forge a sustainable and prosperous future.

About National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week

National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week
is a cause-related event that originated at
Villanova University in 1975. In 1989, the
National Coalition for the Homeless and the
National Student Campaign Against Hunger and
Homelessness took on co-sponsor duties. Every
year, one week before Thanksgiving, a number
schools, communities and cities join forces with
the organizations in a nationwide effort to bring
about a greater awareness of the problems of hunger and homelessness.

About TreeMedia and “Urban Roots”

Tree Media Group was founded by sisters Leila
Conners Petersen and Nadia Conners when the
emergence of new technologies allowed for a more
democratic dissemination of ideas. Tree Media
Group has consistently worked on projects that
examine global transformation, conflict
resolution, care & sustainability, the
environment, cultural catalysts and progressive movements.

About Casa Esperanza

Casa Esperanza assists homeless individuals and
families to achieve self-sufficiency, by helping
as many as possible access the services they need
to transition to stable employment and housing.
Casa Esperanza is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a
year. Offering a wide array of services for the
homeless, with an emphasis on both emotional and
physical health, 12 different program partners
collaborate to bring recovery to the homeless — all under one roof.

For more information about Casa Esperanza, please
visit the website at
<http://www.casa-esperanza.org/>www.casa-esperanza.org.
For questions about the “Urban Roots” screening
please contact Rob Grayson at (805) 884-0123.