Sixty Minutes Report on the Farm Bureau

Paul n Shelley pracko at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 7 09:00:41 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Scotty Johnson <sjohnson at albq.defenders.org>
To: <sjohnson at albq.defenders.org>
Date: Thursday, April 06, 2000 4:48 PM
Subject: 60 Minutes expose on the Farm Bureau

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This Sunday, April 9th, Sixty Minutes (CBS) is scheduled to air a
special expose on the American Farm Bureau Federation.
According to a recent Farm Bureau letter sent to numerous Farm
Bureau offices, the TV report, narrated by Mike Wallace, is
"potentially damaging" and goes "straight to the heart of our farm
organization."

The Farm Bureau letter also states that "The slant of their story (60
minutes) was that because Farm Bureau holds for-profit companies
(i.e. property and casualty insurance companies) nationwide, we
are not capable of representing the family farm...'
Tune in Sunday night for this important event. It will be aired after
the Masters golf tournament on CBS.

Scotty Johnson
Rural Community Outreach Coordinator
GREEN (GrassRoots Environmental Effectiveness Network)
sjohnson at albq.defenders.org