[Scpg] Chop and Drop & Nurse Plant Species for So. Cal. Food Forests?

Devin S devinfromheaven at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:05:46 PST 2008

Hey there,

I'm designing a food forest at my place and looking for some chop and drop
species for mulch in the long term. Anyone have ideas? What about natives?

Also, I'd like to plant up a bunch of nurse plants to kick start the system
then thin them out later. Again, looking for natives and species that
provide some sort of yield.

By the way, the site is a little suburban track home in east Ventura, CA.

So far the tree species we have ready to go in the ground:
Apple, fig, plum, nectarine, peach, apricot, almond, avocado, mango, banana,
feijoa, citrus

Thinking about persimmon, paw paw, macadamia, loquat but not sure about the
space we have left over.

Cheers,
Devin

--